There are few things more refreshing on a hot summer day than juicy, perfectly ripened watermelon. Not only is watermelon delicious but it’s also super nutrient dense, packing a ton of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants into a small amount of calories. Watermelon is known to help reduce chronic inflammation and muscle soreness, packed with lycopene and potassium and also great for the hair and skin thanks to high quantities of Vitamin A.
Here are some of my favorite ways to get in as much watermelon as I can:
- Juice it! (of course) Studies show that having a glass of raw watermelon juice before a workout can significantly reduce muscle soreness.
- Grill it! Slice it up and brush EVOO on each side with a pinch of Himalayan salt (maybe add a little basil). Heat until the melon is slightly softened and warm all the way through.
- Watermelon salsa! You’ve heard of mango salsa? Now just replace the mango with watermelon and pile onto your tacos. The crisp sweet flavor screams summer.
- Snack time! I love to take chopped watermelon squeeze fresh lime on top and sprinkle with chili powder. It’s the perfect amount of sweet and savory in each bite.
- Watermelon Mojito! Muddle a few chunks of watermelon, mint and lime juice at the bottom of your cocktail glass. Add your favorite rum, ice and a little bit of soda water. This will be the most refreshing drink you’ve ever had.
Happy watermelon season!